Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Books I Am Reading For This Semester!
Current mood: energetic


This weekend was the Orientation Weekend for my second master's degree I am earning from University of Southern Mississippi. The degree I am earning will train me to teach children and young adults that are deafblind, meaning they are deaf and blind, not an either or...

At the orientation, they told us we will be dissecting a cow's eyeball next month! Ugh... :) They also told us that next year they are paying all expenses to send the students to Long Island, New York to do a field observation at the Helen Keller Center!!! I am so excited about that!

Then they gave us the books we are required to read THIS SEMESTER, meaning we will have even more books next semester! Here is the list:

1. Hand in Hand: Essentials of Communcication and Orientation and Mobility for Your Students Who Are Deaf-Blind. Volumes 1 and 2 (over 800 pages)

2. Learning Media Assessment of Students with Visual Impairment (over 200 pages)

3. Remarkable Conversations: A Guide to developing meaningful communication with children and young adults who are deafblind. (over 300 pages)

4. Foundations of Low Vision: Clinical and Functional Perspectives (nearly 500 pages!)

5. Program in Low Vision Therapy (nearly 200 pages)

6. Dictionary of Eye Terminology (288 pages)

7. Vaughan & Asbury's General Opthalmology (466 pages)

8. A Guide to Planning and Support for Individuals Who Are Deafblind (over 500 pages)

9. Children with Disabilities (nearly 900 pages)

I am sure we won't read every page of every book, but I do know I am going to have a lot of required readings this semester! So much for my leisurely reading of "War and Peace"! ;) I am so excited to have been accepted! Dr. McDowell told us they had 526 total applicants and accepted a total of 46 over the past four years. I will be in the last cohort group, and will be graduating in 2009. This degree is entirely paid for, our tuition and books, and even traveling expenses. I am very blessed!

Love,
Jennifer

No comments: