Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dreams Really Do Come True... For Those in Mexico City!

I came across this article tonight, and I just had to share it with everyone! For those of you who know me well, you know I love (is love really a strong enough word?) Mexican food, so imagine my delight at the following:

MEXICO CITY (AP) — A Mexico City borough went for the whole enchilada — and got it!


Residents of Iztapalapa cooked up a 230-foot-long (70-meter-long), almost 1½-ton enchilada Sunday. Guinness record official Ralph Hannah announced that it was the world's biggest. The colossal concoction was made of corn tortillas, white onions, serrano chilis, green tomatoes, avocado, cheese, cream and a sea of salsas, among other ingredients. "With this Guinness record we are showing the world that Iztapalapa is a high-level tourist destination," said Mexico City tourism secretary Alejandro Rojas.

"Chefs prepare the world's largest 'Enchilada', a traditional Mexican food, during the National Enchilada Fair at the neighborhood of Iztapalapa in Mexico City, Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010. The enchilada, measuring 70 meters long and 1,416 kgs, entered the famous Guinness Record book Sunday. (Marco Ugarte / AP) "
"A boy waits to be served a portion of the world's largest 'Enchilada', a traditional Mexican food, during the National Enchilada Fair at the neighborhood of Iztapalapa in Mexico City, Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010. The enchilada, measuring 70 meters long and 1,416 kgs, entered the famous Guinness Record book Sunday. (Marco Ugarte / AP)"
"Chefs prepare the world's largest 'Enchilada', a traditional Mexican food, during the National Enchilada Fair at the neighborhood of Iztapalapa in Mexico City, Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010. The enchilada, measuring 70 meters long and 1,416 kgs, entered the famous Guinness Record book Sunday. (Marco Ugarte / AP) "




Unfortunately, our family was unaware of unable to attend the enchilada festivities in Mexico City today! However, those who know me and love me (certainly love is a strong enough word to use here!) best can attest to the fact that from the moment of conception; I have done my best to instill a love for Mexican food in my children! Just look at the picture posted above: Graden heartily enjoying a taco bigger than his own head as a young boy! And who else would name their cats Gordo, Pancho, and Tucson?! Do you like chimichangas, cats? I mean, do you really like chimichangas, cats?!

Reckon all y'all have to be from Tucson, AZ to get that last one?

                  Who can forget the tasty red chili con carne, or the teeny-tiny chicken enchiladas that were rolled tighter than taquitos? Look at the plate and serving bowls! Maybe that is why my family is eating off Fiesta Ware dishes in the South- and just looking at that picture makes me want to order the paprika collection for my own home! Oddly enough, I just now notice that the plate, beans, taco, rice, tamales, and chile con carne all seem to blend together?!

It was always a tough choice though... While Gordo's was definitely my favorite; the novelty of going to Pancho's and being able to "Raise the Flag" when you were ready for more was definitely fun too! Plus, Pancho's had a soft-serve machine, I didn't have to settle for sopapillas & honey for dessert... 

No comments: