Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My First Days in Guam...

I left Saturday morning for Guam, and what a trip that was! I worked Friday, and when I left work I went home and took a three hour nap so I would not fall asleep on the drive to Birmingham. I left Wal-Mart at 1:00 a.m. Saturday morning, and drove to Birmingham airport. It is four-lane now the entire way, and it only took two hours to get to the airport from Amory! I boarded for Houston at 6:00 that morning, and arrived in Houston a little after 8:00 a.m.. I bought a burrito and a Mt. Dew in the airport at Houston, and paid nearly $12.00! Then I boarded for Honolulu before the 9:35 departure time, and flew for nearly nine hours to Hawaii! My legs were so sore from just sitting... I did manage to watch "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" though, and it was good (And "Transformers", "License to Wed", and played plenty of "Hang-Man")! I departed from Honolulu to Guam at 3:20 p.m., and that flight was another eight hours again! The total duration of the flights, including connections was 21 hours and five minutes. At one point I decided to brush my teeth, and when I came out of the bathroom a man was clapping for me, and saying "We thought we were going to have to go in there and get you! We didn't know how much longer it was going to take..." Pretty embarrassing!

When I arrived in Guam it was beautiful! There are palm trees and ocean everywhere, and the weather was 85 degrees. My sister, her husband Jerry, and their little boy Cameron picked me up. We went to Taco Bell and then to her house on base. We spent Monday getting a base pass for me (while everyone in my little Mississippi town was sleeping on Sunday!) and then to the mall. It was so different being in the mall and seeing shops like "Benneton, Esprit, Diesel, Juicy" etc... A definite culture shock after shopping at "Dollar General" and "Wal-Mart" the last 9 years, ha ha...My sister bought me the prettiest Fossil watch, it has a pink face with a diamond cut, and there are rhinestones all around the face of the watch! We looked in one store at the Precious Moments collectibles, and they even have a Hawaiian one where the little girl is dancing with a lei on it. I may go back and choose that for my souvenier!

My little nephew Cameron is hilarious! He was taking a shower by himself, and entertaining himself by singing "My humps, my humps..." then he starts talking to himself and says "I don't even know what that means?!" Very cute! He had to go to school Monday, and was devastated! He is obsessed with sharks, pirates, and dinosaurs. I bought him two dinosaurs at Kay-Bee Toy Stores in the mall, and I told him one was named "Gibson Shreds" and the other was "Graden Roars" and he was impressed, wanting to know how I knew that! I bought my three boys surprises, too.

We went to the gym on base last night, and I loved it. One thing I remember about the Air Force is how nice the gyms always were. This one was no exception, they have spining rooms, raquetball rooms, a rock climbing wall, etc... Shannon and I worked out together on the Eliptical machines, and the base has "Cardio Theater" attached to each cardio machine. You can watch almost any channel while you work out, on a flat screen monitor attached to every individual machine! When we drove back to my sister's house, the roads were covered with frogs that were out enjoying the rain! It was funny to see so many frogs, and my sister told me at night coconut crabs come out, too! She said her husband let one play "tug-of-war" on his foot!

It is 6:38 early Tuesday morning here in Guam, and only 2:38 Monday afternoon back home... I miss my boys at home!

No comments: