Sunday, November 22, 2009

These are three of my all-time favorite songs... two are old, they have been out since I was in high school... Yikes! :) The third one came out a few years ago... I love it. "The Hardway" is like the story of my life.




















"The Hardway" by DC Talk

(chorus)

Some people gotta learn the hardway

I guess I'm the kinda guy

That has to find out for myself

I had to learn the hardway, Father

I'm on my knees and I'm crying for help



Now I've been high and I've been low

I've been some places that you will not go

I never thought there would come the day

When I wished I never would've lived this way

But I've been searching for a long, long time

I thought the devil was a friend of mine

I turned my back on everything that was true

And wasted years that belong to you



(repeat chorus)



It took so long for me to see

That I'm a victim of nature and me

Left to myself I realize

I am the maker of my own demise



But you accept me every time and again

And never mention just how selfish I've been

Why must it always take me so long to see

That I have fallen but you will forgive me?



(repeat chorus 2x)



The warning signs are like flares in the night

Still I proceed my greed is in spite of the fire

I know that's bound to burn

Why is it that I always gotta learn...

The hardway, the hardway, I had to learn the hardway

The hardway, the hardway, I had to learn the hardway



"No Stone To Throw" by Sierra

Maggie lives on Second Street

Downtown by the river

She looks away from everyone she meets

They've got no time to give her

Because on her shoulder is a scarlet letter

And nobody told her she could do better



I've got no stone to throw

No axe to grind

I look at Maggie's life

And I see mine

I see somebody searchin' for somethin'

A little love and understanding

And the longer I know the Lord

The more I know

I've got no stone to throw



Maggie wears a cross of gold

But she don't know why

She says she tried religion once

But it made her cry

She's been to hell and back so many times

And she's done anything to survive



Maggie lives in every town

And people talk about her

'Cause it's easier to put her down

Than to care about her

But she has a Savior; He is her Judge

Oh, Maggie, you deserve to be loved
























"My Jesus" by Todd Agnew

Which Jesus do you follow?

Which Jesus do you serve?

If Ephesians says to imitate Christ

Then why do you look so much like the world?



Cause my Jesus bled and died

He spent His time with thieves and liars

He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant

So which one do you want to be?



Blessed are the poor in spirit

Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land

Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness

Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand



Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins

He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars

He loved the poor and accosted the rich

So which one do you want to be?



Who is this that you follow

This picture of the American dream

If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet



Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion

Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins

But the Word says He was battered and scarred

Or did you miss that part

Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him



Cause my Jesus bled and died

He spent His time with thieves and the least of these

He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable

So which one do you want to be?



Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church

The blood and dirt on His feet would stain the carpet

But He reaches for the hurting and despised the proud

I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd

And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud



I want to be like my Jesus!

I want to be like my Jesus!



Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus

You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity

I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus

Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me

Can I be like You Jesus?

I want to be like my Jesus


No comments: